Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sunday - Butterflies and Walking Cox Arboretum, Playing in Gammy's Sprinkler, and Celebrating Mommy's (and Great-Grandma's Birthday)!!!

Sunday was another beautiful day in Dayton! We went to Cox Arboretum to see the butterfly exhibit and didn't expect to see all of these other wonderful things too!

We first met Zip, a beautiful Border Collie, that lives at Cox. Zip lives there to control the Goose population. Border collies look and act like the natural predators geese fear most. Border collies have a predatory crouch, stalk and stare that they use to move livestock. They creep over the ground silently which panics geese. While the dogs mean no harm, these mannerisms are very unnerving to geese and they soon move on to a “predator” free environment. Geese that are harassed on a regular schedule by border collies will seek a safer place to live and raise their young. Border collies do not actually want to hurt geese. Their job is to drive geese away. They never have physical contact with geese. We were amazed by Zip. He ran so fast, was so friendly and personable, and was so entertaining. He would run a circle around the pond (super fast...even Bailey probably wouldn't have been able to keep up with him), then he would abruptly come to a stop, then jump in the pond and just stand there!

Like this! Meet Zip!

There were also very large fish in the pond!

And....a turtle!!!

We also saw birds!
Gammy and I hung out with Zip!

And Gammy and I cuddled!

Poppy, Gammy, and me!
Getting ready to go see the butterflies!


Then it was time to see the butterflies. They were so beautiful!

Gammy was telling me all about the butterflies!
And a nice lady offered a couple butterflies for me to pet....but I wasn't interested. Maybe next year!
Another beautiful butterfly!


After we got home from Cox, I decided to cool off in the sprinkler. I splashed around....
filled up my cups....

drank from my cups.....
took a cuddle break with Gammy....
and then filled up my cups with rocks!
That evening, Gammy and Poppy cooked a birthday dinner for mommy and great-grandma (they share a Sept. 7th birthday). Grandpa Sacksteder came too!
I had a little snack to hold me over until dinner.

Grandpa Sacksteder read me one of my favorite books, about ducks, of course!

No comments: