Thursday, June 17, 2010

Potty Training and My Big Boy Underwear!

Mommy decided the evening of Thursday, June 10th that she was going to start potty training with me on Friday, June 11th. Gammy had given mommy some papers on a method called "potty training boot camp" a while ago for her to read when it was time to potty train me. Mommy had tucked these papers away in her nightstand drawer and pulled them out to read one night that week. After discussing it with daddy, they decided it was worth a try! Friday morning mommy showed me my new big boy underwear (Cars underwear, my favorite) and told me that I wasn't going to wear diapers anymore because my baby sister was going to need them and that I was going to wear big boy underwear from now on. She told me that I was to keep my underwear dry and go pee-pee and poo-poo in the potty. Friday morning we spent every 10 minutes going pee-pee on the potty. I was rewarded with all kinds of goodies and presents (ie. fruit snacks "gummies", mini-cookies, and hot wheels). I had 2 accidents that morning. Friday afternoon we gradually got to about every 20 minute intervals between pee-peeing on the potty and I had 1 accident Friday afternoon. Saturday morning I had 1 accident. Ever since, I have been doing AWESOME!!!! I keep my underwear dry most of the time and only have an accident on the rare occasion.

Pooping on the potty.....well that is a different story. I am not so good at that part....I am not sure why so I can't tell mommy and daddy which is very frustrating for all of us. Mommy has read, talked to alot of people, and has also called the pediatrician on this matter. It seems like the general consensus is that many children are afraid to poop in the potty for all kinds of silly reasons to adults but very real and serious reasons to us little one's. I am probably on the younger side of being potty trained for a boy so it will probably be some time still before I am comfortable with pooping on the potty. Mommy and daddy are fine with this and just encourage me to continue to try. Though they would love for me to poop in the potty, the last thing they want is for me to start withholding so they are very calm and supportive of me pooping wherever and however I am comfortable right now (despite having to clean up a little bit of a mess).

Mommy and daddy are so proud of me, they are just beaming!!! And I am sooooo proud of myself!!


Day 1 of potty training. I am wearing my big boy underwear and "Bear" is wearing a pair too! (I also picked out a pair for my baby sister with lots of cars on them! They were sitting on the counter for the day).


Another day: posing and showing off my underwear!


No comments: